Thursday, August 11, 2011

Baby Burn

So we are finishing our basement and we just got a gas fireplace installed into our basement.  We have no chimney, so they installed an exhaust vent that comes out the back wall of our home.  It is the middle of the summer, but to burn off the factory oils, the technician told us to run the fireplace for a few hours, so we did.  The technician left and not long after, my 3 year old slipped out the back door while I was right there doing dishes and before I could even notice she wasn't there anymore she started screaming.  I ran over and she was at the base of the steps shaking her hands and head.  I asked her what happened, but she wouldn't tell me.  I looked around and suspected she may have touched the hot exhaust vent.  When I asked her if she touched it she wouldn't answer me. (I think she thought she might get in trouble).  I looked at her hands and they looked like they were burned.
I took her right inside and slathered Lavender Essential Oil on both her hands and let that sit as I got a bowl of cold water and ice for her to soak her hands in.  Her crying seemed to subside.  I sat right in front of her to keep the bowl from spilling and noticed she kept gently biting her top lip.  I looked closer and her top lip and nose looked white, with a little abrasion (which was probably a blister that had already popped) and a pink spot on her cheek as well.  I asked her about it, but once again she denied anything had happened to it.  I realized she probably had burned her face as well.  She wouldn't allow me to put lavender on it, as it was right under her nose and her top lip (lavender doesn't taste very good).  So I got her a wet rag with a piece of ice in it and held it on her lip.
About once an hour we took her hands out of the water, dried them off and re-applied the lavender oil.  By bedtime she had developed a blister on her top lip.  Her hands never blistered and felt better the next morning.  What didn't look better the next morning was the burn on her face.  It had all scabbed over and looked so painful!  My husband was worried about long-term scarring on her beautiful little face.  So that night after she was asleep, I snuck in her bedroom and applied Frankincense and Rose essential oils as best I could on her nose and top lip.  She slept through it, so this became our new routine for the next week.  Once a day after she was asleep.  We were so pleased with the results.  You can click on the picture to make it bigger.




Each day showed improvement, till after 7 days the scabs were completely gone.  I took a picture after 10 days.  There is still a bit of marking on the underside of her nose, but I just got the Immortelle blend which has Rose, Frankincense, Lavender, Myrrh, and Helichrysum in it and it smells divine.  I will finish the job with that.

What I thought was remarkable was the difference in how we treated her hands and face initially.  Her hands, which we slathered with Lavender oil probably within 2 minutes of the initial burn, and then hourly after that never blistered or scabbed over like her face did.  On her face, we were only able to use cold water and ice and what a contrast in the healing process!

And for future safety, we normally won't be running the fireplace in the summer, and in the winter, there aren't children playing in the back yard anyway.  I will have my husband build some sort of safety cage that still may get hot, but will protect little people from touching the vent directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment