Monday, March 21, 2011

Emotions and Geranium Essential Oil

My husband and I took a very rare weekend away from our children and left them with their grandparents for one night.  We had a wonderful and relaxing time away.

When we came back, our children were all happy to see us, but our 2 (almost 3)-year old had fallen asleep.  When my husband went down to get her she woke up MAD.  She cried and cried.  I took her from him hoping the mother's touch would be the magic touch.  Not this time.  She yelled at me "Mom, I wanted you! You left me!"  She wasn't calming down, so we put her and the rest of the kids in the car to head for home.  She cried the entire way home.  I brought her in the house to hold her on the couch and nothing seemed to make a difference to her.  This is very out of character for my sweet, cheerful, loving little girl.  I wondered if she was feeling abandoned when we left her for the night.  After almost an hour of angry screaming, I decided to try distraction.

She was complaining of a tummy ache, so I took her into my bathroom to find some essential oils for her tummy.  Every suggestion seemed to add fuel to the fire.  On our way out of town, I had picked up a few new oils and asked her if she wanted to smell the new oils.  "No Oils!" she screamed.  I opened them anyway, one by one, smelled them, and then offered to let her smell them.  Each time she would turn her head away and say "no oils!"  Then I opened the Geranium.  I smelled it, and offered it to her.  She smelled it, then took a deep second whiff.  She said with a smile "Mom, this is mine oil.  I need this oil."  Entertained by that, I put the lid back on and kept trying tummy trouble oils, in which she rejected each one and began to get all worked up again saying she needed the "pink oil".

I looked up Geranium oil to see if it could help her tummy.  It said it helps with Emotional Balance, Skin and Hair, and can be applied Neat (or without dillution) even to children.  I figured it couldn't hurt, so I laid her on my bed, she lifted her shirt to bear her tummy.  I applied one drop to her tummy, along with one drop of a massage oil.  I rubbed it all over her abdomen slowly in a clockwise motion for about 30 seconds.  She held very still.  When I finished I asked her "how does that feel?"  She took a deep breath, let it out, smiled and said "all better".

I couldn't believe the immediate shift in her mood!  After that she allowed me to read her a story and put her to bed with no further complaints.  I have heard that essential oils can bring emotional healing, but I have only used them for physical ailments like cold sores, tummy-aches, insomnia, and their immune boosting ability.

Thank you, Geranium oil, for giving me the ability to calm and comfort my baby in a time of great distress for the both of us.

1 comment:

  1. that's a powerful story, i love geranium for cleansing the liver too, so that's good you did that for her too!

    ReplyDelete